KPMG has a market leading strategy advisory business in Energy and Natural Resources, serving the oil & gas; power and utilities and infrastructure sector serving UK, European and international clients. We work with C-level executives to identify, structure and solve their most critical strategic issues related to deal strategy, growth strategy and operational strategy. It is an excellent time to join us as we are growing rapidly due to our unique propositions and the strength of our client relationships, with the Energy & Natural Resources business. As a team, we are a group of bright committed individuals who are passionate about delivering fantastic client work, developing the team around us and having fun both inside and outside of work.
You will work in project teams on assignments addressing fundamental strategic and operational issues, with a particular focus on identifying and delivering performance improvements in areas such as operations, maintenance, capital projects, logistics, and supply chain. Under the leadership of highly experienced Partners, Directors, and project leaders, Managers lead workstreams for our clients, applying analysis, insight and client interaction to agree recommendations and support execution. Managers will often lead small teams, shaping outputs while coaching and mentoring staff to motivate and develop team members. Direct contact with client colleagues and presentations to senior management are key parts of the role.
In addition to client work, Managers will play an active role in developing new business for the group, supporting work on proposals, thought leadership, and interactions with potential clients in the industries we serve. Managers act as core members of our Strategy Group, shaping new approaches and working closely with colleagues.
Managers will develop a strong combination of industry skills and strategy insights, learning through a combination of project work and training in advanced approaches, as they progress towards promotion to roles with overall responsibility for project delivery.
You will have practical operational experience in the industries we serve, in areas such as oil and gas, chemicals, energy, maintenance and engineering – with specific experience in oil and gas offshore operations, refineries and petrochemicals businesses extremely desirable.
You must be able to define and lead the thinking / problem solving on how to put together a piece of analysis, scoping, planning and managing the execution of client deliverables; able to lead and challenge senior stakeholders, and able to work beyond own area of expertise; and has led teams or individuals, and ideally has overseen significant parts of complex projects or programmes.
This experience may have been gained through direct industry roles, or where you have had an operational role that involves managing cross-discipline teams/areas, with direct exposure to commercial issues and the delivery of business improvement programmes.
Alternatively, you may have worked in a leading strategy, operational consulting firm, or Big4 player, or dedicated internal consulting group, leading small teams addressing M&A, Company or Business-Unit wide cost saving initiatives, strategic reorganisation, revenue growth and pricing, working capital improvement, etc.
An MBA or the equivalent is a definite plus, but is not a minimum requirement.
- Strong interpersonal/social skills and team-players
- Good analytical problem-solvers, able to think in a structured way, be able to break a solution framework up between 2-4 - people, and communicate this effectively
- Capable of holding ultimate responsibility for final delivery and output of a cluster of related workstreams (overseeing associates delivering the content of those workstreams)
- Drive and impact, mentoring skills, good storytelling, financial acumen, attention to detail
Sufficiently comfortable liaising with senior stakeholders and conducting client interviews to gather data and analysis
- Personable and good at striking a rapport with a variety of individuals
- Strong networks
- 'Self starters' and able to work independently with little guidance to lead teams to achieve results
- Able to cope with the pace and urgency of our work – 1-3 month timeframes with tight deadlines, as opposed to 1+ year programmes
- Comfortable being away from home for long periods of time (even if this is away during the week and back at weekends)
- Written and spoken English skills need to be excellent